Blog Archive

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Andalsnes to Greiranger #7/13

Trollstigen, or the troll's ladder is a 12% grade climb up a steep valley. If you want to feel like a cycling rock star, I highly suggest biking up. Tour buses full of people take pictures and cheer as you huff and puff your way past. At the top, people shake their heads on disbelief and tell you that you are amazing and strong and all sorts of things to make your head swell. 

 The ride itself is spectacular. You Climb so far so fast that you reach the top before you know it. Once there, the visitor center is full of food, beer, and the Norwegian afternoon treat of waffles with sour cream and jam. When I was in line to buy my snacks the cashier asked if the man in front of me and I were together, he replied to her with a wink, "Not yet!" And left me smiling for the rest of the afternoon.

Continuing on the road climbs through a valley of high peaks, waterfalls, and glaciers. The landscape is so beautiful that I am amazed people don't drive right off the road. I nearly did more times than I'd like to say!


 A quick ferry ride across a fjord followed by a climb and I was ready to camp for the night.
I stayed at a great stop/ picnic area along with a few camper vans. It poured down rain all night and into the next morning. Mustering the motivation to crawl out of my tent took a fair amount of time, but the camper next to me quickly invited me in for coffee.

A German family from Bavaria gave me the perfect opportunity to procrastinate the bike ride down. I told them about Leavenworth and the Bavarian theme and had them rolling with laughter. They offered to drive me into Geiranger, but a glutton for misery, I decided to ride. Down a 10% grade for 5 miles in the POURING rain took me to Geiranger fjord, probably the most photographed fjord in Norway.

I decided to take a break from camping for the first time in two weeks and find a cabin or a room for the night and hopefully wait out the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment