Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

(#8/9) Tokyo is a crazy city

17 Sept- Monday (national respect the elders day)
 With the temps above 30 and the humidity above 87% I slowly walked toward the closest botanical garden and tried to be motivated to explore Tokyo. It just wasn't happening. I couldn't even motivate to get up for ice cream, so I spent the morning reading in the park. In the early afternoon the humidity seemed to drop and I began to explore.
 Plastic food lined every street which can be very handy helping you work up an appetite. The city is non stop simulation, flashing lights, gigantic tv's, robots, music blasting from shops and from music trucks that cruise the streets. You can dress up like super Mario and drive a go cart through the city. There are cafes filled with cats that you can play with while you drink coffee and cafes with live owls and hedgehogs.
It took me awhile to find things because not everything is street level. Restaurants that are advertised at ground level can be 7 floors up and today I found a huge food area where you can buy bakery treats, candies, vegetables, meats all underneath the train station.
 I had to try a capsule hotel where your room is the size of a twin matress and you have to crawl into it. I love it! Much bigger than my tent, there are lockers and wonderfully clean facilities. 

 When I checked in I left my shoes at the door and was given a little bag with slippers, towels, and a toothbrush.

It's a little weird to think there are people sleeping on each side of you as well as above or below, but not that much different than bunk beds and way more private than a dorm room.
 I feel a like I'm walking through a theme park every time I leave my hotel. I'm in the red light district so there are tons of love hotels with their rate options posted for just a "rest" or "full night." Signs for massage with scantily clad buxom women give the area a little more color.
The shinjuku area of Tokyo has all these tiny little streets, more like alleyways where there are bars and restaurants that can only seat 6-10 people. Chicken and veggies grill right on the bar and mixed drinks are cheaper than beer. 
As I was heading back to my hotel, the humidity finally broke in a theatrical downpour with cracks and rumbles of thunder. The rain pounded down until the streets were running streams. Hopefully this means a little cooler for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment