Blog Archive

Sunday, August 7, 2022

Unpack, Assemble, Repack, and Ride#2

 26 July 2022-

Despite my lack of faith that my bike would show up the same time I did, my box came off the plane on time and unscathed.


 I probably could have found a quieter place to assemble my bike than right outside the taxi drivers booth, but I was fast more entertaining for the drivers this way. "I have big car for big box, ok?" "You need taxi, bicycle no good" "you give me bike for my son when finish trip." It was good incentive to move quickly.

The road from airport into city was a busy 4 lanes with a shoulder full of broken glass and exit ramps with overpasses  I was feeling apprehensive about cycling on the highway until I watched several herds of cows slowly cross all four lanes. Not as hectic after all.

Massive mountains covered in snow set the back drop for the city of Bishkek but the smog from the city partly obscured the view. I managed to exchange money, find a canister for my stove, get food, and order a milkshake via charades. My attempts at Russian have been pitiful at best. 

 Instead of spending a second day in the capital in Temps over 100, tomorrow I'm speeding towards the mountains at 6 mph. Mountain Lakes and high altitude, here I come!

1 comment: