Blog Archive

Saturday, August 6, 2022

Kegeti Pass- the Big Push. #3

July 29, 2022

Time change and jet lag left me taping my feet in the wee hours of the morning waiting for daybreak to start riding. 
My ride out of Bishkektook me 40 miles along the base of the range before heading up a river valley where the relentless elevation began. A quick stop to grab some pine flavored soda and mushroom flavored chips to fuel my climb.



The road was fairly smooth and the surface got better, for the most part, the higher I went. If you had momentum you could ride the road, but I had none, so I pushed. I decided to camp around 10,000' since I was wary of the weather and the elevation. That evening rain periodically pelted my saggy tent then lighting flashed and before I could even count to 1, thunder shook the mountains around me. 


The morning was clear and calm so I resumed my push. If I tried to ride, I would go for just a short bit before my lungs and legs left me gasping and draped over my handler bars. I figured a steady push was better all around. After passing several sheep carcasses, I finally made the top at 12,400'. 


Down the other side was it's own adventure. Landslides had obliterated the road leaving an ever changing track to navigate. Fearing for my life and my derailer hanger, again, I walked my bike. Fortunately after about 3/4 of a mile, the road was ridable and lovely. I followed a river valley for miles down to the villages below.






1 comment: