Blog Archive

Monday, August 20, 2018

(#9/9) A Tough but Rewarding Trip

20 September 2018- Thursday

Oh Japan. When deciding on this trip I though it would be an easy place to go. Little did I realize that this country had a lot of challenge in store for me. I had days with rain, humidity, and very steep hills. There were many moments when I wanted to fire my vacation planner and wondered why I couldn't be happy just sitting on a beach drinking Mai Tais. 

Now, sitting at home, it's dawning on me just how unique, how special, and despite how it may have sounded in my blog, how fun it was to travel through Japan.

Tokyo is Japan condensed into a city of immense proportions. I had thought I would walk everywhere but going 2 inches on my tourist map equaled almost 2 hours of walking. So, with a deep breath I faced the Tokyo subway starting at the busiest station in the city... just in time for morning rush hour.

The subway becomes so overcrowded that men have jobs standing on the platform to push people in as tightly as possible in order to allow the doors to close. I would have taken a picture, but we were packed in so close that I didn't even have enough space to lift my arms. You could hear audible "oofs" as I was mooshed and squished into the far side of the carriage. Thankfully, by the time I made it to my stop I was able to squirm my way out of the car.


I wanted to see the hundreds of Tori gates at the Hie Shrine, a quiet place set in the middle of high rises and government buildings. I had the place mostly to myself, said a quick prayer that I would get myself and my bike safely home, and left for more sightseeing.
On the way to the Imperial Palace, I passed a building with two fancy Pagani sports cars inside. Later I found out these cars are 1.4- 2.4 million dollars each. I'm a little shocked they even let me in the door.
Around the Palace I was in the right place at the right time to see the Super Mario Karts go by. You can sign up to drive go carts through downtown Tokyo dressed as Super Mario characters, mustaches included. It made me laugh out loud and shake my head about how many things are a possibility only in Japan.


Tokyo was very hot and very humid. I walked as slowly as I could from iced coffee shop to ice cream shop and was thankful for the tall buildings as they offered shade.

Sushi for lunch and a stop at the well done Edo Era Museum. I found out that Kubuchi Theater, known for male only actors, lots of drumming and sounds made by hand instruments, has been happening since at least the early 17th century. Theaters were huge so acting was over exaggerated and faces were painted white to make them more visible.

A quick trip up one of the sky scrappers to get a better vantage point. I almost saw Mt Fugi (the base was showing through the clouds) but got a better idea of just how large the city is.
My last worry was how to get my bicycle home. I found a box and somehow managed to carry it while pushing my loaded bike through the streets over 1km to the bus station. I disassembled my bike and packed it up right on the sidewalk. I had been so worried about this step, but like everything else, it worked out easily.
I will miss the toilets and the quiet villages scattered in between mountains. I still can't believe such a jungle, full of screaming insects and crickets that sound like bells chiming can turn into a world class ski area. I can't believe the history, the culture, the tradition that exists here.
The traveling was challenging, with road signs in a different alphabet and little to no English spoken in the north, but I made my way. I had help when I needed it, no regrets about how I traveled, and I am leaving with a profound respect for this beautiful place.
Thank you Japan!

1 comment: