Blog Archive

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Off to Mongolia...with a quick stop in China First #1/9

21 September 2015
I'm not sure why Mongolia was on my travel list, but there it was, looking like a pretty good idea. Rather than bring a bike, I decided to bring a saddle and buy a horse once I got there.

Mongolia is a culture where there are still nomadic families living in gers (yurts) that use horses and camels as a means of transportation. With wide open spaces, river valleys that lead into mountains with snow leopards, and few rules to follow, it sounds like an ideal place to spend some time.

For the first time ever, I packed my bags before I left to see if I could fit all my gear on my saddle and not carry so much weight that my horse would collapse. I sat down to see how it all felt and reached forward to adjust my stirrup. In awkward slow motion, my rain barrel "horse" saddle, bags, and me, all went tumbling down across the yard before I could kick my feet out of the stirrups. Hoping that this was not a portent of things to come, I humbly picked myself up and started started packing my things into boxes for the trip.



No comments:

Post a Comment