Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Mountains! Mountains! Mountains! #8/13

19 September

With a beautiful morning view of Mt Kazbek, I took it as a sign to go deeper into the mountains. I ate a hearty breakfast ( I don't think there is any other kind of meal in Georgia) and biked down to Sno Valley. The ride up the valley was beautiful and for once, mostly flat. At the end is a little village called Juta. I was able to leave my bike at the hotel there and after a Turkish coffee (imagine an espresso with all the grounds still in it) I was ready to go.

The trail quickly climbs up past a few guest houses and camping areas and then the valley opens up to a craggy mountain that would make a climber drool. Chaukhi pass climbs to 11,000ft and is steep towards the top. I was feeling pretty impressed with myself until I was passed by an old man leading a horse, fully loaded with food for the cafés, down towards Juta.

As I reached the top, fog closed in and the though the trail was easy to follow, I became a little uneasy. After all, I was by myself, it was really high, the nights are cold, what if I cannot find my way back, and on and on.

I started paying close attention to land marks and identifying them out loud so I would remember. Suddenly I heard footsteps behind me. It was the same man, leading the now unloaded horse back down the pass! I immediately felt better about going the right way and this old man became my fitness hero. 
As I headed down the fog cleared and I was able to see my destination, Abdulauri Lakes. There are three of them, Blue, Green, and White Lake  and they gradually get more milky colored as you get closer to the glacier.

I camped next to one of the lakes surrounded by wild rhododendrons and blue berries. Throughout the evening I listened to rock fall of the glacier and the tinkling from the bells of grazing sheep.

The next morning it was foggy and raining, I gathered my motivation, packed up and headed back up to the pass. As soon I crested the ridge, the skies cleared and the sun came out. I think Roshka Valley makes its own nasty weather. I quickly shed my wet layers ate some strange tea biscuits, and headed down.
Back at the café I ate spicy beef and tomato stew and jumped on my bike to ride to Truso Valley to camp for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment