Blog Archive

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Bergen to Stavanger #11/13

Bergen is such a cool city that I thought it deserved some frolicking. So I kicked up my heels, had a delicious beer that cost $20 The
one of the quirkiest bars I've ever been in. I saw next to a heavily tattooed and pierced, very large woman with a head full of dreadlocks and was instructed where to eat and where to walk later on in the day. I followed her good advice and treated myself to the best food I've had all month at a tiny little restaurant called Bastant. I was blissed out on homemade mushroom soup, grilled blue cheese, and vanilla cream crazy good desert (followed by another beer naturally).
To walk off my dinner I zig zaged up tiny cobblestone streets and alleyways looking at all the shops and beautiful older homes. Bergen is an artistic hub with jewelry shops, art galleries, pottery shops, and so many fun little stores that I couldn't make it ten steps without getting a distracted by bright shiny objects. By the docks there is a fish market that rivals Pike Place. You can buy any and all kinds of tantalizing smelling seafood including whale meat. Just next to this there is a plaza where vendors sell reindeer sausage and "I heart Norway" tee shirts.

 As the cruise ships pulled out of the harbor, the whole city quieted down. Runners came out in full spandexed force and sidewalk cafes filled with locals enjoying the evening. I retreated to the rooftop terrace of my hostel to enjoy a cup of tea and watch the sunset over the harbor. It is amazing how misery is forgotten when in the presence of comfort and a full warm belly! Once again, I am back in love with fickle Norway.
The next morning I stopped in at the Bergen cathedral and let a candle for a safe journey, I figure it can't hurt!

As I started to bike my way out of the city I ran into a statue of a creepy child being spit on by frogs.
 Outside of Bergen I had one if those perfect biking days. It warmed up enough that I wore shorts for the first time since the beginning of my trip. The road gently rose and fell and though the scenery wasn't extrodinary, there were twists and turns  so it never became boring. The distances seemed to fly by and I jokingly told myself that I would only stop and camp if I could find a place with a picnic table and a stream.
 Lo and behold! I found a small grassy park a little ways off the road with 3 picnic tables, flat mowed grassy lawn, a stream flowing out into the ocean, AND a bathroom... With toilet paper even! I was feeling downright spoiled.

An early morning start of 10am (I just HAD to wait for the dew to dry) and I was once again on windling country roads loving my bike and wishing I had more miles to go before Stavanger. The rolling hills, craggy rocks, and blooming purple heather made time and distance fly by. It was just beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment