Blog Archive

Monday, August 4, 2014

Voss to Bergen #10/13

There are no bicycles allowed on the highway between Voss and Bergen so I was sent on side roads and bile trails along Hard anger for den. Lined with waterfalls and steep cliffs I was happy to be on a bike instead of driving on the narrow mostly one lane road.

 Fortunately I was on a fairly common bike route so I had many happy kilometers on designated bike paths with no cars.
 And then it rained. And rained, and rained, and rained. I bikes up hill with a viscious headwind for hours hopping for a campground so I could take a hot shower and have a dry place to cook food. Didn't happen.

I took refuge in covered bus stops and people's open garages. I was soaking wet from head to toe. Between the wind, the spray from passing cars, and the endless hills, I may have had a break down. Unfortunately after having a tantrum, there is nothing else to do but get back on my bike and press on.

 I admitted defeat and camped on an old road bed that went around the cliff side of one of the many tunnels. It was still pouring rain so my tent became a damp sauna, and I crashed out for the night.

I woke up to pounding rain, swore for about 10 minutes, then packed up my stuff and biked up the road. I stopped at the next bus stop and paid 41kr ($7) for a bus to take my stinky wet self the rest of the way into Bergen. It was a very good choice.
Bergen is full of cool little streets and alleyways packed with shops and cafes. The historic district dates back to the 1700's but some of the wooden houses are modeled after ones built in the 12th century. The alleyways in between have raised wooden walkways ans tiny staircases leading up to the second and third stories. It is easy to wander from bakery to cafe for a long, satisfying afternoon.
I am staying at a hostel in the middle of town for the night, I don't think a hostel has ever felt so luxurious!

No comments:

Post a Comment