Blog Archive

Monday, August 8, 2022

Biking Kyrgyzstan, at least that's the plan. - #1


 23 July 2022

Some people go to the beach for vacation. This is sounding like a better idea as I pack and repack everything into smaller bags for my mountain bike and hoping I brought enough for 4 weeks of camping in only mild discomfort. 

Kyrgyzstan is home to the Tien Shan mountains, a massive range in central Asia with peaks over 24,000 feet tall. In the summer, nomadic herders bring their animals up to the high Meadows for the two months out of the year when they are not covered in snow. With amazing scenery, a culture known for its hospitality and kindness, some hastily learned Russian, and Kyrgyzstan being rated safer for travel than France or the United kingdom, it's time to stop dreaming about it and just go. 

With very limited space, certain things did not make the cut; shorts, trendy clothing, or deodorant. However, there are some luxuries I would not compromise on; a book, a light coffee mug, sandals, and a very small pumice stone so my feet will still resemble a human's after the trip. I've gone for a short test ride, got the horrible squeal my bike was making (hopefully?) fixed, and now a mere 22 hours of flying will bring me to Bishkek and the start of my adventure.

This is my entire kit for the trip including about 4-5 days of food. I'll need to buy a fuel canister, a lighter, and hopefully some better maps than the one I have, "Kyrgyzstan for the Businessman." 


No comments:

Post a Comment